- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup flour ( try whole wheat or gluten free!)
- ½ cup almond meal or flour ( you can sub regular flour)
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 pinches of salt
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves
- 1 pint strawberries halved – or sub other fresh berries
- 1 teaspoons Lemon juice
- maple syrup for drizzling- optional
- powdered sugar for sprinkling – optional
Heat oven to 325°F.
In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl, and mix until combined.
Whisk flours, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl then add it to the batter, until just combined.
Spoon ½ of the batter into a lightly greased 9 or 10 inch cast-iron skillet.
Spoon little teaspoons of strawberry preserves ( about a ¼ cup total) over top the first layer of batter. It needs not to be perfect.
Spoon the remaining batter over the preserves. Arrange the strawberries, skin side up, all over the batter, covering it. Sprinkle the top with the lemon juice.
Bake until cake is golden and puffed, and a toothpick inserted into a center part of the cake comes out free of batter, about 50 -60 minutes. Drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar.