- 1 1/4 cup whole milk, warm (should feel body temperature when you put your finger in)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons / 1 packet, instant dry yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for rolling out dough
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter for greasing baking dish
- 18 ounces Bonne Maman Apricot Preserves
- 3 ounces dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- small pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup shelled unsalted roasted pistachios
Add a little of the warm milk, yeast and a little of the sugar to a small bowl and mix. Set aside for 10 minutes.
To a large bowl add the yeast mixture, eggs, rest of the milk, rest of the sugar, melted butter and salt, whisk until combined (with a hand mixer or, if using a stand mixer, use the whisk attachment).
While beating the mix, add the flour in small batches, mixing well between additions. If using a stand mixer, switch to the dough hook before doing this. If using a hand mixer, stop and use hands when the dough gets too thick. You may use a little less flour depending on the dough.
When the mixture has come to a ball, turn out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 1 minute. It should not be sticky.Clean the large bowl and coat lightly with oil. Place dough in the bowl, cover with a clean towel and leave in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9×13 inch baking dish.Meanwhile, add the preserves, apricots, cinnamon and nutmeg to a bowl and mix. Add 1/3 of the preserves mix to the bottom of the baking pan and sprinkle pistachios.
Flour a clean surface and roll out the pastry to 18 inches square.
Spread the rest of the preserves mix all over the pastry leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle with pistachios, then take the edge closest to you and roll snugly ending with the seam side down.
Trim the roll into 1 ½ inch thick pieces and place, spiral side down into the pan. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Once risen, bake in the center of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn the buns onto a large cutting board and serve warm.