Ham Biscuits Benedict with Bacon-Berry Preserves and Creamy Braised Greens
Recipe credit: Chef Robert Carter
|Ham Biscuits Benedict with Bacon-Berry Jam and Creamy Braised Greens|
- 4 ounces self-rising flour, plus extra for rolling
- 2 ounces shortening
- 2 ounces buttermilk
Preheat oven to 450 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until pea-size pieces form. Make a well in the center, and gently pour in buttermilk. Fold together, being careful not to overwork the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a flour-dusted work surface. Roll to 1-inch thickness and cut with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place on a cookie sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Bacon-Berry Preserves
- 2 cups bacon, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Bonne Maman Mixed Berries Preserves
In a medium skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Drain and reserve fat. Crumble the bacon.
- While still hot, mix the crumbled bacon and 2 tablespoons reserved fat with the apple cider vinegar and Mixed Berries Preserves. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Creamy Braised Greens
- 1 ounce canola oil
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 ounces chicken broth
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- Hot sauce to taste
- 4 ounces collard greens, mustard greens, Swiss chard or spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium saucepan, heat canola oil. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, heavy cream and hot sauce to taste. Add greens and simmer 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Poached Egg Yolks
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
Bring salted water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Gently add the yolks to the simmering water. Simmer 3 minutes. Do not overcook; the yolk should still be runny. Reserve on a paper-towel lined plate until biscuits are ready to be assembled.
- Country Ham
- 4 ounces country ham
Sliced ham into 1-ounce portions and heat before assembling biscuits.
- To assemble:
Split each biscuit in half, and place in the centers of 4 plates. Spread 1 tablespoon Bacon-Berry Preserves on each biscuit. Top with 1 ounce country ham. Spoon 1 ounce Creamy Braised Greens on top of the ham. Top each with a poached egg yolk.
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe